Apple has today announced the new iOS 6-firmware update with around 200 new features. iOS 6 includes major enhancement in Siri voice assistant and also introduced Siri on the new iPad. Facebook integration is coming to iOS 6.
iOS 6 beta will be rolled out today for developers, so those who have enrolled in the developers program can download the iOS 6 beta for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The iOS 6 firmware update will be available for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, the new iPad and iPod touch 4G.
Features List of iOS 6:
- Siri: Siri coming to the new iPad.
- Facebook integration with App Store: like apps, movies, TV, music. Facebook is integrated like Twitter. Login from settings, share from apps like photos or Safari. Locations from Maps, iTunes store, Game Center. Also integrated with Notification Center. Facebook events will appear in calendars, and birthdays. Facebook contacts are also integrated.
- FaceTime over cellular: Unifies phone number and Apple ID. Incoming FaceTime calls to phone number can be answered on Mac.
- Eyes Free: Eyes free is a new feature that is a hands-free allows you to keep your hands on the steering wheel while you’re using your phone. Siri will be integrated even in the car. Car manufacturers to add Siri button on steering wheel. BMW, GM, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda in next 12 months.
- Siri Language addition: Siri will support more languages now like English/French for Canada, Spanish for Spain/Mexico/U.S., Italian, Korean. Local search coming around the world.
- Photo Stream: New shared streams, easy way to share with friends. Everyone can comment. Friends get push notifications for new photos. Almost like Apple’s own social network.
- Enhancements in Phone App: Do Not Disturb mode will help by pass calls and messages without making any sound or brining lights up. Remind me or automatic text messaging when in meeting. You have the option to select one, if you choose remind me later, you can be reminded in an hour or remind me when I leave, which will set up a reminder when you leave the building.
- Safari for iOS: Adding iCloud tabs, offline Reading List, upload photos right from Safari to any websites, smart app banners for sites to advertise their apps, Sync between web activity and app activity. Added full screen support in landscape.
- Mail Enhancements: Enables users to mark as VIPs. VIPs have a star, and there is also a VIP mailbox. Also added a flagged mailbox as well. Easy to insert photos and video right from the compose window. Pull to refresh messages.
- Passbook: Passbook is a new app in iOS 6 and it is a place to collect boarding passes, store cards, and movie ticket apps. It organizes all the passes/ tickets for a movie theater or the airport. Cards are live too…if airline gate changes, virtual boarding pass will alert you.
- Guided Access: Guided access is a new feature brining increasing accessibility, esp for autistic. Single-app mode and can just circle app controls to disable them.
- New Maps: Google maps are just now replaced with the new maps in iOS 6. 100 million business listings worldwide.
- Yelp integration: Yelp is intetgrated into business listing. New service called traffic reports includes anonymous, real-time, crowd-sourced and accidents places to divert routes.
- Turn-by-turn navigation: Find a destination, tap “quick route” and you’re on your way. Monitors traffic and can re-route. Very like the GPS systems. Works well with lockscreen and integrated with Siri.
- FlyOver: Apple has been flying over cities to build 3D photographic models. Vector-based maps with zoom, rotate, etc. 3D maps, very much like Google’s 3D mode on Android. Extremely fast performance on the iPad.
- Lost Mode: Added ‘lost mode’ to find my iPhone. Send a number to the phone, and the person who finds it can just tap on that to call you.
iOS 6 is now The world’s most advanced mobile OS. The final release for iOS 6 will be in September. We are in process of bringing more on WWDC, stay tuned with us.